Saturday, January 10, 2009

72-Hour Kit Rotation Schedule

We store factory bottled water which doesn’t really need to be rotated. It might taste flat when you drink it, so shake it up to get some air dissolved in it and it will taste better. I keep an eye on it in case there is a rare leak. About once a year I refresh it and use it for those times that we need bottled water in a flash.
We don’t use any prescription drugs on a regular basis, but if we did we would rotate them every time we got the prescription refilled. Drugs loose strength over time so it is vital that these are kept fresh. Make sure you label the drugs clearly with instructions, using old bottles is the best way. Depending on your situation you may want to store more than a three day supply of medicine.
The food that we buy is food that the we will eat for snacks. We keep our food and water storage pretty accessible so it‘s easy to rotate it. I’ve made a schedule so that every month a food item in the kits gets replaced. The exception is crackers I rotate them every other month, they seem to get really yucky in storage and the kids eat a lot of crackers anyway. Some of the other items need to be updated also, and I’ve included them on my schedule. I hang a copy of it on the door of the closets that I store my kits in. My schedule looks like this:

January & July
Crackers
Update Personal Documents
Abby’s clothing

February & August
Dried Fruit
Increase funds to match inflation or changing needs
Arlynda‘s, Lucy’s and Seth’s clothing

March & September
Crackers
Milk
Check batteries, make sure flashlights and radios still work.
Jamie’s and Bailey’s clothing

April & October
Peanut butter
Check and rotate medicines and toiletries

May & November
Crackers
Canned chicken
Check first aid supplies

June & December
Juice
Check matches and signal flares.
Update entertainment items.

1 comment:

Angela said...

The principle of food storage has always been pretty overwhelming to me, until you broke it down to something do-able. Thanks for sharing what you've learned!