Saturday, June 19, 2010

Lime Chicken Taco Salad

The first two of our CSA shares have been greens. Greens that I've never heard of or would even consider looking out for. We got some strawberries and some beets too, but the greens have been the bulk of it. I made a salad last night for dinner, Lime Chicken Taco Salad, at least that is what I call it. We used two whole heads of the four red leaf lettuce heads we got this week!


Marinade for the chicken:
1/4 - 1/2 cup lime juice
2 teaspoons Fajita Seasoning (I got it at Target)
2 teaspoons Ground Corriander
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar (if you would like, you could use 1/4 cup white wine)

I marinated it overnight, which I recommend unless you have fresh good chicken, ours was frozen and not a great quality chicken. Marinating in the lime juice helps tenderize it. At least marinade it for 30 minutes.
At this point you can choose if you want to grill it or fry it or broil it.

Dressing:
1/3 cup lime juice
1/3 cup honey
2/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup cilantro (you can leave this out and just sprinkle it on top)
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon ground corriander
salt to taste
(I had to add a little more honey, just adjust to your taste)

Additional Items for the Salad:
Fresh greens
Feta (I know not really Mexican, but the flavor goes really well with the salad)
Crushed tortilla chips

It was so good, just thought I would share a simple summer meal that I sort of made up on the fly.

Guten Appetit!

No comments: