Friday, December 11, 2009

Cranberry Chutney

I love cranberries, but I can not stand canned cranberry sauce, it is just something that isn't natural.  Jamie has a Cranberry Sauce recipe I'm sure that he would love to share, but I personally like this better.  (if you are afraid to have something a little spicy on your table for Thanksgiving, then just leave the hot pepper flakes out!)

1 lb. fresh cranberries (frozen ones work also)
1 c. sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. red wine vinegar
1 c. chopped granny smith apple (or other tart cooking apple)
1 c. chopped onions
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes (or to taste, these are also optional)

Combine first 4 ingredients and the water in a sauce pan.  Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until juice is release from the cranberries (they will pop open and the cook down to release their juice), this should take around 15 minutes.  Add the rest of the ingredients, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered until thickened.  It should be about the consistency of honey when it is done.  Chutney will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for at least two weeks (it will freeze well for even longer).

No comments: